Why do you want to work here? It's a typical job interview question you're going to hear. Don't worry when you don't know how to answer it. Instead, start planning your thoughts to understand how to tackle this common job interview question.
Theoretically, this job interview question should be simple to answer. Since you've applied for a position that you're very interested in in your dream company so you should have done your research before attending the interview, it should be as easy as ABC to answer – "Why do you want to work here?"
How are you going to address why we should hire you?
No doubt, you want this job to fulfill your life needs and cover your monthly expenses. That's not exactly what the recruiter needs to hear. This question is a double edge sword! The recruiter wants to hear about two main things:
- Why do you want this job specifically?
- Why do you want to work for this company particularly?
- Your reply should include the following:
- All the details you know about the job
- Your latest professional achievements and your next goals
- Your information about the company and the latest industry trends
- All these points can be covered when you ask yourself, why I want to join this company?
Find real reasons for applying for this job is it the salary? Flexibility? The job description? The company? The benefits? The long term growth? The location? It would be best if you defined some reasons for applying for this job aside from being posted online.
Below are a few samples of ways to start answering, "Why do you want to work here?":
- "I've been one of your customers for years…"
- "I always find myself browsing your website…"
- "One of my best friends works for this company, and they are thrilled due to the work environment and flexibility…"
- "I found that my vision meets your company vision…"
- "Your company has a strong market brand in…"
- "After doing research, I am highly impressed by the company's achievements in…"
Come up with some ideas and use these short samples to simplify the thinking process greatly. It's an easy question—there are more complicated job interview questions that you might hear.
When the recruiter asks you, "Why do you want to work here?" be frank. Display your real interest in both the work and the business. Then edge your answer by demonstrating how you'll be an added value to the company.
Finally, with research and practice, you'll easily be able to convince and impress the recruiter and obtain your dream job.