Dignity is a word most people will associate with themselves. Surveys found that people choose dignity over wage as the vital characteristic of an ideal job.
This write-up aims to look at dignity from an employee perspective; does it exist at work? Do employers protect their employees' dignity? Do they treat them with dignity? How to avoid losing dignity in the workplace and more.
Dignity in work is a key aspect of a business. Let's go deeper into what it means.
What’s the meaning of “Dignity” in the Workplace?
Dignity, is it an abstract term, or has it a defined meaning?
Dignity is the value that a society, organization, or individual attaches to a human being and can be defined as a human being's worth. We need to remember that dignity is in itself vague. We all have our own perception of what constitutes dignity, which depends on social norms, values, and attitudes. But one thing is for sure: all individuals have some dignity.
Does dignity exist in work?
It is well known that it is hard to earn a living nowadays and that statistics say that one in two workers will experience unemployment at some point. But aside from how you personally deal with the precarious nature of work, there is also the emotional aspect of it – its role as a source of personal development and fulfillment. And this is an important thing to think about when we talk about dignity –
There is dignity even if we don't see it. There are circumstances where a worker feels his or her profession lacks dignity. This may be due to working with socially inept bosses or toxic co-workers or poverty in certain places. Yet, it could also be an issue of one's perception and how they view things. So, we can start the journey by respecting each other.
What are some examples of disrespecting employees in the workplace?
When dignity at work is absent, it impairs people's ability to work together for economic success.
The top bad examples of disrespecting employees in the workplace can be summarized in these words: long hours, low pay, and disrespectful and mocking environment, making the employee feel like he is wasting his life.
Is dignity important in work?
Yes, work without dignity can be known as "wage slavery." Equity, self-realization, control, security, and mutual benefit are all byproducts of dignified work. Dignity at work makes your workplace happier, more productive, AND more profitable
Dignity is a value that is imperative to recognize in work. In turn, dignity helps ensure a safer working environment for all employees.
How do you deal with the situation when you find yourself dealing with an employee who feels he/she is not getting treated with regard or spoken to with respect?
- Quickly address any complaints or concerns they may have: Employee concerns and treating employees professionally without any biases are significant to keeping employees motivated and loyal.
- Focus on what the person brings to the table, rather than the piece of paper called "Title" or their years of service.
- Balance respect with authority: Respect is not about showing blind obedience. It's the combination of understanding and valuing what someone did and how they did it. It's also about respecting people, so they enjoy coming to work every day.
- Listen carefully: While I fully understand that a person has to be held accountable for their performance, the real "key" lies in how you approach the issue when giving them a correction. When you look at each correction as an opportunity to help them understand how they can do things better or more efficiently, those corrections will seem easier to give and receive.
- Don't attempt to solve problems at the moment. Decision-making is impossible under stress and anger.
- Give employees the freedom to work in their own way.
What are the principles of dignity at work?
- Respect the age and gender
- Provide training opportunities for current employees
- Offer flexibility and accommodation for workers with disabilities
- Provide tools to deal with discrimination and harassment
- The environment should be safe in the workplace
- Handle conflicts in a way that ensures everyone's dignity
- Adequate opportunities for development
- Decent remuneration
How to avoid losing dignity at work?
- Remember the purpose of your job
- Do not take everything personally
- Prevent office drama before it even starts
- Be humble whenever you can
- Realize that sometimes you won't have a choice
- Think about your behavior
- Think about what they're trying to accomplish or minimize the damage
- Don't be emotionally or physically dependent on your job
- Don't be afraid to say no, to anyone
Finally, dignity at work makes it possible for people to discover their potential and enhance their capacity by respecting their human qualities and building human capabilities, enabling them to develop themselves and participate fully in society.
If you work in a company where you think doesn't respect the employee, Apply for new jobs now!